Wednesday, September 12, 2012

9.12.2012

today was one of those heart wrenching mom days.
today was colins forth ortho appointment & 
his appliance arrived and was cemented into place.
today i learned how to torture tighten it every night.
today he was brave but i saw the tear slip out of the corner of his eye.
today i found myself saying words i'm sure 
my mother said to me years ago.
today i said 'you'll be so thankful years from now.'
today i wanted to change places with him
and sit in that reclining chair.
today i found myself offering sonic milkshakes & extra
video game time as consolation prizes.
today i felt i had let colin down.
today i felt that maybe i hadn't prepared him well enough.
today i felt out of my comfort zone.
today i felt like i wanted to let a tear slip out of the corner of my eye.
so we've survived the first 8 hours.
the advil has kicked in & we figured out how to brush it.
his speech has already start to adjust to this new
foreigner in his mouth.
an extra large pile of mashed potatoes for dinner tonight.
so life goes on.
we adjust.
we learn.
we give thanks.
and when he smiles, i think i see his jaw moving already!